Libraries

As a student at TUD, one must study Till U Die.

...yeah.

And as a normal, lazy, student, I'd rather study in a library (or a designated study room) than in my own home. Why so?

Easy.

Home offers you comfort...the kind of comfort you don't need when you're studying...like kitchen full of food to be cooked, fridge full of various cold drinks, cupboard full of chocolates, speaker ready to boom loud music, and of course, bed and blanket.

On the other hand, designated study rooms provide you with a sense of embarrassment if you don't work by the time you are there (like now). Also, they provide big tables, lighting, strong wi-fi, and conducive ambiance in general.

But not all studying space are created equal. Some of the places are better than the others, and I and my friend are all about pursuing the best study place (especially in the upcoming exam weeks!).

These are the libraries we've visited so far, and my own rating for each.

1. TU Delft Library (2/5)
This library is obviously my own university's library. I personally don't like being here because it's always full of stressed-looking lads. Always. Also, this library is cold and not so well lit. And kind of noisy. But most of all, I think this library is too stressful for me to work in.
Image result for tu delft library interior  Image result for DOK Library Delft

2. DOK Library, Delft (4/5)
This library is naturally be the next choice, and is my favorite. I love this library because it is so close to home, bright, and kind of warm. It also has the glass roof, which I like, cause it lets you know the weather outside while being inside all day long. As a bonus, less stressed-looking lads because it usually is full with common people, from babies to grandparents.
Related image 

3. University of Amsterdam Science Park Library (1/5)
We visited this library because I wanted to hop on the train but still get to work. In a sense, this library has a nice ambiance...but, there is not that much of study space. Also, it is so far from Delft. As a bonus, my friend's laptop wouldn't connect to the eduroam internet, which was strange cause I was automatically connected, but still...
Image result for UvA Science Park Library

4. Amsterdam Public Library (Openbare Bibliotheek Amsterdam) (3/5)
This library is sure far. That's the major drawback. On the bright side, this library is literally bright! The lamps are almost white, which I love. Also, there are hundreds of table on this multiple storeys building. And as this is a public library, you can see various human being here. Oh almost forget why it scores low despite the very nice place: no free wi-fi!
Image result for openbare bibliotheek amsterdam Image result for openbare bibliotheek amsterdam

5. Leiden University Library, Leiden (2/5)
This library of the neighboring university looks like real library with books and stuff. I think it is quite nice, as TU Delft Library doesn't really look like a library at all. Wi-fi seems to be okay since we are guest members and guest members are allowed to use the free wi-fi. But it is a bit far, and also packed with stressed-looking lads. Yep. Full. Of. Students.
Image result for leiden university library

6. Leiden University Library, Den Haag (5/5)
This library opened for the first time on January 2nd 2017 (YESTERDAY) and I already graced this place. I LOVE IT. It is so bright, spacious, quiet, not too far, and still smells like new thing. It is just perfectly located near Den Haag Centraal Station, like literally 2 minutes walk from the station. It doesn't require you to have a membership card whatsoever, which is nice. It is not (yet) packed with stressed-looking lads, which is also nice. It has glass walls which allow you to bask in the sunlight while working, which is nice. Internet is eduroam which you can connect easily, which is nice. In any measure, it is sooooo nice. New favorite!

 



So those are the libraries I've visited so far. In addition to those, there are some honorary mentions. These places are not libraries, but have study areas.

1. TU Delft Aula (3/5)
Yes. You can study here, in the cafetaria. People might think that it is too noisy, well, no. It is only noisy at lunch and dinner. Other than those two times, the place is more less nice, especially at night. It has a piano you can play, or you can listen to people playing it nicely. It is also warm and quite lit. In exam weeks' weekend, you can find even more study space because they make the effort to get the tables and chairs out of nowhere and set them up to provide more study space. So kind of the university :')
Image result for tu delft aula restaurant

2. TU Delft Fellowship Building (2/5)
This place is nice because there's so many study space available. It usually is packed with undergrads, so less stress, but still students. It is well lit and warm, and a bit noisy (for me, nice noisy) because people are allowed to use these rooms as discussion rooms. The major drawback that it is quite far. Well, if you measure in distance it sure is closer than Den Haag, but! As I don't like biking, I'd most likely take bus...and the effort to walk to the bus and from the bus to the building is the same as going to Den Haag, so yeah. Nope.
Related image

3. TU Delft Architecture Study Space (3/5)
I actually never study here, so I'm not really sure. But I think it's quite nice place to study or to work together with your group. The drawback is very personal: I feel intimidated by the students of architecture. Haha, yeah, I know.
Image result for tu delft architecture

4. TU Delft Industrial Design Hall (3/5)
This place is bright and spacious and noisy. For a reason I also like noisy rooms, not like noisy noisy, but more like it has a background buzz of people going about and discuss things. I like this kind of room because people don't hear your every single movement (like it does in the silent rooms). And how cool is that to study on a 'floating' dock? I personally like it lots...except when there's a lead-foot person walking and the thing starts to bounce.
Related image

And that's all about the study places I went to. I might try more studying spaces in the year, and will update the thing had I found new places :)


Written in a two-days old library in Den Haag,
January 3rd

Aida

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beasiswa LPDP #5 - Persiapan Keberangkatan (PK)

Terima Kasih Tuhan

#MeToo